Information and communication technologies (ICT) are an important part of contemporary schooling. The Australian Curriculum includes ICTs as a general capability across all learning areas, as well as Digital Technologies as a specific learning area. A one to one device program ensures that all students have access to a device at any time.
The wind down and removal of government support for computers in schools has brought about many challenges. We have continued to work through these challenges to offer the best possible value and learning experience for our parents and students.
Our school fleet of laptops is not large enough to support our student numbers at crucial times when access is required. We have trialled a bring your own device (BYOD) program for during 2019, 2020 and 2021 but this has proven unreliable for our community.
To address the shortage, Dakabin SHS has chosen to implement a one to one device program, to ensure students have access to a dedicated electronic device to enhance their learning experiences both at home and at school.
Our aim is to ensure that all year 7 students have a device, that will last for three years before being replaced in grade 10 for the final three years of high school. Students at our school will continue to have the option of participating in the BYOD program.
All students at Dakabin SHS will use laptops to personalise and enrich their learning experience. There will be two main options to parents for providing a laptop: School Device Program or Bring Your Own Device Program.
- Single device option that meets the requirements of all subject options
- Connected to the school network before handover – no action required for access to school network, internet and printing
- Full payment required prior to handover
- 3 years warranty, accidental damage protection included
- Option of any device that meets the appropriate subject requirements
- Requires enrolment in school BYOD program to access network, internet and printing
- Limited support from the school around upkeep, software and repairs